Windscreen washer jets

From WikiLEC
Jump to: navigation, search

OEM washer jets

The windscreen washer jets require careful adjustment otherwise the water ends up in a puddle at the bottom of the windscreen or flying over the top of the windscreen (which is a personnel hazard with the hood down). The twin jets can be adjusted with a needle or similar to produce a coverage pattern similar to that shown below.


No matter how well the jets are set up at standstill however, the screen coverage changes greatly with speed.

Fitting mist spray washer jets

These are from Citroën C3, Xsara 2, Saxo and are available from Peugeot/Citroën main dealers. They are also available on eBay and the cheapest (incl. P&P) I've found are from Duff Morgan (Norwich) who also did a very good deal for the 2010 LEC group buy (£7.65 incl. VAT per set of two for 17 off + £3 P&P to one address); contact Keith Sharp at or 01603 775467.

The first job is to remove the old washer jets which are retained by plastic retainers sprung front to back. Old age and cold weather can make these very difficult to remove but some warm air from a hair dryer and some mole grips or pliers ease the operation. Warm air can also be useful for removing the pipework. The 90° elbow adapter should also be removed and the easiest method found was to dump the lot in boiling water for a few seconds.

Comparing the OEM and new mist spray washer jets (top, front, bottom and side) reveal that there is very little to do to fit the mist spray jets: To cater for the increased thickness of the GRP bonnet, a small amount of plastic must be removed from the four retaining wings. This is best done with some sharp cutters and the aim is to remove just enough so that the new jet snaps into place. First remove the rubber gasket and modify the original outline (shown yellow) by removing a portion as shown in red here. Replace the gasket and trial fit to the car. Once the new jets snap in place, remove them and fit the 90° adapter. The new pipe is slightly wider diameter, so again, boiling water is useful to soften the adapter; I found the easiest way was to carefully (but quickly) pinch the two together in a vice. A 3-4mm spacer at the back of the jet is useful to make sure they go together square. Refit the jet to the car and re-connect the pipework, drop the bonnet and marvel at the improvement.


PS They also make Polos disappear!

While you're about it, you might want to change to a Variable intermittent wiper delay.